I’ve been interested by hacking in general for a good long time, but actively only more recently. I did some tutorials at hackthissite.org, and looked at a lot of viral marketing (which, if not hacking, at least comes from the same mindset), and now I’m looking into mods
One that caught my eye was this. After looking at ways to make my wiimotes glow (which I’m also doing as soon as my tri-wing screwdriver arrives), I saw a link to the tutorial, and thought, “I could do that.”
And so I did.
Yes, I now have a working “multimedia” projector. Quoted because at the moment it will only display Ruth’s computer’s output, because I need moar adaptors. It was fun and simple to do, and I’d recommend it to anyone. So far it’s cost me £22, a lot better than the £400 or so required for a real projector. Bizarrely both the monitor and projector cost £10.99 each; 99p for the monitor with £10 postage, and £10.99 for the projector which we had to pick up. Then what you do is, you gut the monitor and put the seethrough pixelly bit on top of the projector with some corks to leave a gap for air twixt the two.
The tough thing about this sort of activity is being brave enough to take something to bits. Of course, the triangular, lightning-bolt warnings don’t help, although what they don’t mention is that modern electronics have bleeder circuits to take away any charge left in capacitors in an hour or less. If you can get over the fear of damaging a product by simply taking the case off, which is unlikely, the world is a mollusc’s excretion of which you are the proud owner.
I’ll try to remember to post some pictures of the projector this evening, when the night is better. I’ll post again when I’ve made my wiimotes pretty.